Saturday, April 5, 2008

Actually, it began much earlier...

... on the drive back from a lovely summer weekend in Sun Valley, Idaho, the home of the best outdoor ice skating rink in the country, the place where I fell in love with Peggy Fleming during her 1970 TV ice skating extravaganza! Miss Dawn hadn't even brought her ice skates with her on that trip, having not skated at all after an injury a number of years back. I caught her watching the skaters out on the ice on a bright, sunny, warm afternoon with what I saw to be a look of loss and maybe even yearning. So, as we drove home, I proposed that I would learn how to skate (even at my advanced age) if she would get back on the ice and begin training for the Utah Senior Winter Olympics. I am not quite sure why she agreed - possibly just to see me skate backwards (but not yet on purpose!) - or, possibly because it was just the right time for her to start her journey back to the bliss and joy of skating that had been such a major part of her youth.

Don

No comments: